Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Back at it again

So there I was crouched back to a maple along a grassy field watching two toms fan and strut 150 yards away and thinking, How cool is this?

What I really couldn't believe was that it was 8:30 in the evening of May 4. I've never really hunted turkeys this late in the day, let alone had action. Yet, there they were twirling around in a set area, and unfortunately for me, unwilling to check out the tom and decoys I set out in front of my setup.

Regardless, I was excited just for the opportunity to see such a show. It had been nearly three years since I was privy to such a display.

And seemingly, I was the only participant on the field. Whoa. How did I get so lucky?

I merely asked the dairy farmer whose spread borders along the Lapeer-Sanilac counties in Michigan if he had any turkeys he could put me on. This was the same stern, but open-minded gentleman, who let me "guard" his wheat fields last goose season.javascript:void(0)

"I might have a few," he said. "But don't bring nobody."

Fair enough.

I knew if it was as good as the goose action I was in for a treat despite being the only one who would be enjoying the gig.

I think it was more related to me having my 5-year-old son along during the goose hunts. Think it unnerved him little. However, when I first introduced myself, I asked for permission for "a place where my son and I could go to goose hunt without a big hassle" -- so I didn't purposely deceive him.

And now here I was, taking in the gobblers in strut, but stymied by their lack of travel plans.

When Dave first showed me where the turkeys flew down every morning and their routes around the barren fields, I told him it "should" be a slam dunk.

Yes, a slam dunk, but with complications.

I've been here before. The plan of attack now must be to get over to where they want to go and intercept them.

I believe I have them figured out pretty well. On the morning after the May 4 opening day show, I listened to them again on a set display ground on the other side of a ridge. They never showed their white globes above the grass the whole morning.

I knew they were going to be over in the patch of woods to the east. But I was under a farmer directive, which was, "Don't cross the field."

Yep. Been here before as well. Frustrating, but I was in turkeys all day. Which is pretty typical for me because if the birds are in the area I can just about be assured I'll bring them in ... eventually. Except for the stubborn ones. Those types have to be maneuvered on.

When I told Dave about how they hung up, he informed me that "there IS a patch of woods over there you can hunt."

Now we're talking.

Unfortunately, I made the plans for him to show me the woods on Mother's Day. A major oversight on my part. (Gulp!)

I'm still going. Told the wife so as well. Didn't get much of a response. I guess she's used to it now.

I mean, it's spring gobbler season, what does she expect? Why do the powers that be mix up Mother's Day with the spring gobbler season anyway? Poor planning in my opinion.

(Look for video clips on this site and Mac's Three Favorite Spring Gobbler Tactics in Mac's Hunting Mag at www.macshuntingmag.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home