Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gettin' there

By Mac Arnold
MAHFS editor

The last time I was out bow hunting, Saturday, Oct. 16, inspired me with new-found vigor.

Why?

That crisp, cool fall day -- amid spectacular yellows and oranges -- had a buck on his feet at 9 a.m.

It shifted the gears in my head and now I know I need to get out as much as I can bear in between work and watching my kids.

Soon though I will have the first installment of my deer hunting vacation. Eat, sleep, drink deer hunting. Oh, yeah.

The buck I saw was slowly milling through the pines where I hunt along the edge of an open maple and oak woods and a conifer canopy I affectionately call "cathedral."

And noticeably the does that were in the area a couple days before were absent. That means the buck has 'em scattered from chasing them while in search for an estrus ladyfriend.

If you're an archery freak like I am, this is the time of year you live for.

Despite losing a great farm spot for hunting deer early in the season, I have many acres of public land at my disposal -- in some instances a short walk from my house -- and I think I can pull off another good score this season.

No, the 6-pointer I took would be scoffed at by most of those big-league deer hunters I mingle with on Facebook, but for public land, he was a beaut. I was proud of him.

He ended up standing as the only buck I took last year because the only other bucks I saw were 6-points and I was holding out for a bigger trophy. Plus, the firearm season hadn't even started yet.

After getting anxious about another spot near my house of which issues I won't go into other than to say a neighbor is posting land that's not his, I'm returning to normal. Some of the mojo is circulating in my blood again.

Which is what I need and any bow hunter needs when pursuing big game.

Confidence is key in all areas from being able to hit your target to knowing you can get what you want.

I'm not sure what the heck my problem was. I mean I achieved a long-sought goal in September, which was taking a fall gobbler.

(For pictures and article of Mac Arnold's fall gobbler, log on to www.macshuntingmag.com.)

It's already been a good year.

So let's quit being wishy-washy and get on with it, shall we?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home