Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Update on fishing

By Mac Arnold
MAHFS editor

I did indeed go fishing Sunday along the St. Clair River in Port Huron after I picked up a much-coveted pole holder.

Then once I was finished -- with no luck I might add -- I drove away with the thing still attached to the railing along the wall.

Duh!

I reversed my route down the streets of the "Maritime Capital of the Great Lakes" with my guts churning while trying a maintain a somewhat sane speed and all but ignoring the 25 mph speed limit signs in an effort to save the $15 I paid for it.

I was relieved to find it still where I left it in its glory.

Sure is nice losing your mind as you get older.

Anyway, most of the fishing gig was spent trying to figure out the Penn 209 reel.

Midway through the balmy Sunday, April 10, operations, I found pay dirt and could reel the line in with the crank rather than by hand, as I was doing for the first half hour and feeling foolish.

So despite the lack of action, I still consider the outing a success.

I was in the game, frequently changing the chartreuse-colored spoons for the bubble gum ones and swapping the black prism bombers for the purple or blue and then doing it all over again.

The other notion I had spinning around my mind was the odds of actually catching fish going up as I get out more often.

Not much different from turkey hunting or chasing whitetail bucks. It's always tough to hit the woods once and score. Same principle applies here to fishing methinks.

Therefore, I plan on making this a regular occurrence ... but not the pole holder rescue, only the fishing part.


1 Comments:

Blogger The Insider said...

Can't wait until it's warm enough to spend a day out on a lake!

2:46 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home