Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Crunch time

By Mac Arnold
MAHFS Editor

Can't believe the month of December is already halfway over.

Won't be long and Mac's Top Hunts of 2011 will make the scene.

Most likely, it will be a top hunt.

This season appears to be another one-deer year.

Oh well, I have plenty of venison. I just like to notch multiple deer years.

In fact, I was thinking for it being near the end of the season, I'm feeling pretty frisky. In my younger years, I would be fairly burnt out by now and more apt to sleep rather than hit the woods, citing few deer being seen in the woods as an excuse.

Which does seem to be the case. But if you can find a good food source and get the right day, they will come.

One of the best days to go out in late season is on very cold day with the sun peeking out in the middle of afternoon. The deer will be more likely to move during the day -- outside of their more nocturnal ways -- I have found over the years.

Which is why I tend to lean more on midday to evening hunts this time of year.

Another thing keeping me in the game is in December I have permission to hunt a dairy farm in Sanilac County. Of course it's not the good side of the farm but it still has potential.

So I plan on putting the foot back on the pedal until Jan. 1 and trying to take a nice doe.

(Look for Mac's Top Hunts of 2011 coming in January on www.macshuntingmag.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home