Thursday, November 17, 2011

Embracing the arrival of deer firearms season

By Mac Arnold
MAHFS Editor

Why must the opening day of the deer firearms season be so anti-climatic?

At least for me it usually is.

And it was again this year. I tossed and turned the whole night before Tuesday, Nov. 15, finally giving up on sleep as the nervous excitement was just too tough to overcome.

I took the first two days off, which is what I like to do, but I can't remember when the last time I took a deer, let alone a buck on either of these days.

It was like I was saying to a friend Wednesday night: It's never a day when you have big plans that you score -- it's always after a last-minute decision to hit the woods or you're hemming and hawing on whether to go and then the floodgates spill open to fill your truck bed with deer.

I bounced around the past two days on public land in St. Clair and Lapeer counties and only saw a solitary antlerless deer, which was likely a button buck and in the same area where I shot the buck during bow season. And the only way I was going to repeat that exhausting drag again is for something pretty nice. Trophy nice.

Yet it is fun when the gun season rolls around because it seems like that is when this lone wolf hunter hooks up with other buds for hunts. The camaraderie is always welcomed midway to late in the season.

This Thanksgiving I will team up with my pal Walt for a gig near his house. Over the years we've had some amazing luck on turkey day. We're hoping we can conjure up some more of it this year.

And another cool hunt I have planned is going out Sunday with my son Zackie and his best friend Nash.

I was fairly resigned to let 8-year-old Zackie come into the great outdoors on his own. But the other day, when I was headed out for an archery hunt with all the garb on and the Martin bow in hand, I noticed Nash was enthusiastically asking if I was going hunting.

So today, I asked if he would like to go out sometime and was predicting his parents would say no. Instead his mother was extremely grateful because she has a long line of hunters in her family but no one at the present time to take him out.

Whoa. How cool is that?

Plus it'll give Zackie a little jump start to come out as well.

Long live the gun season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home