Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Ammo still pristine

By Mac Arnold
MAHFS Editor

Nope. Didn't get a chance to fling the new Hevi-Metal ammo at some geese yet.

Oh, I went alright, just didn't get any of them flying, downed mini-tanks close enough for a shot at Dairy Farmer Dave's in Michigan's Thumb region.

I guess I wised up this time.

One of the best opportunities came around 8 a.m. when three got chased from the yard next to the farm and they began to turn my way.

However, they saw me licking my chops and veered away beyond a decent killing range.

Still didn't matter what the initial decision was, I kicked it around over and over again on whether I blew it or not, and wasn't satisfied until I paced off 85 steps to where they crested over the hill before they turned when I got up to leave for the day.

Yep, waaaaaaay too far, sooooon, you made the right call.

It's a long season and I'll hopefully have more opportunities.

Despite some ideal conditions over the holiday weekend, I backed off going out for what would have been the third day out of four. Way too early to get burnt out, especially with a lot of other seasons opening up.

***

Scored a couple more public land doe tags off the leftovers, which were available Tuesday, Sept. 6.

Not sure if I'll need to have them or not but it's always better to have 'em and not use them than to want them and to not have 'em.

On Wednesday, Sept. 7, I decided to make my annual pilgrimage to the other dairy farm I hunt up that way to see if I can hunt deer there again this season.

I specifically waited until the kids went back to school so I could ask the farmer without him having interference from his son, like last season.

In the end I got to go after the regular shotgun season but maybe it would have been for the whole year, oh well.

This is this year. And if denied, I plan on knocking on a few more doors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home