Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Staying up

By Mac Arnold
MAHFS Editor

I don't understand why having one deer situation go awry has taken me off my game.

The mamma doe wasn't even a big one at that.

I was fairly high -- 22 feet -- to avoid detection yet she was nervous. No shot presented itself so I watched their white tails prance off into the woods.

Then another deer came behind me and bolted. I wasn't sure if I moved and was busted or if the scent I had out rattled it. But it cracked limbs and galloped on a 90-angle from me.

What's going on here?

I guess I'll go another two feet higher next time.

Has me wondering if it would be best to stay on the ground. I was having better luck with deer walking close to my set up behind the blind during turkey season.

Anyway, it's way too early to get irritated now. The best hunting is yet to come and I need to work out these kinks for when the moment of truth arrives at the end of the month and into November.

It was nice to see the deer in the public land spot by my St. Clair County house.

The mast is much better this year. For most of the day it seemed like the sky was falling. Crack! Pop! Those sounds were echoing everywhere as the nuts hit the ground.

Definitely is helping to bring game into my usual spots.

The deer action also gave me a jolt. Just haven't felt the fever so far with the temperatures hovering near the 80-degree mark.

In fact, Monday, I said the heck with it and went to the holy land in Gladwin County for a bird hunt.

Some days at this place, I would get the flushes into the 20s within two-hour blocks. But sadly this was not the case.

The three flushes and two shots during the four-hour hunt were hard work. Just goes to show what happens when you don't have a working bird dog.

Rusty, the mixed Lab, just doesn't have it but I will say this, at least he goes and isn't entirely gun shy. Keeps me company, I suppose.

And I suppose I still miss Henry, my springer who passed away in 2008. Now there was a working bird dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home