Monday, September 03, 2012

Down the home stretch

Here I am with the confounded score card during Sunday's archery shoot at the Silver Trails Boys Scout Camp in Jeddo, Mich. Hey, no peeking.

MAHFS photo




By Mac Arnold
MAHFS Editor

Much like the Detroit Tigers battling their way to take the AL pennant in the final weeks of the baseball season, I'm trying to get my house in order before the "90 days of insanity" open in full Oct. 1.

You could make it 105 days if you throw in the first 15 days of the fall turkey season when it kicks in Sept. 15.

As it has been written here before, I can get pretty obsessed during the deer archery season and beyond.

So far, I haven't been able to get out and shoot (at) the impenetrable geese at Dairy Farmer Dave's and it looks like that may have to wait until the regular season opens in Oct. 6.

I'm not sure if I could have even if the planets were perfectly aligned when the nuisance season opened Saturday, Sept. 1 -- I had a physical affliction that required a trip to the hospital that same Saturday and I also was nursing a gimpy ankle that I twisted around the house.

But I have been out doing hunting-type stuff  the past two weekends.

I helped Marysville Dan put up his coveted ladder stand on a private land spot Aug. 26. Boy, it was hot and the mosquitoes were doing pushups trying to get at us. We managed to fend them off and secure the stand in a piney cove that I think will end in pay dirt for Dan.

As I told Dan, I always like to have setups in pines because they make for great cover scent. I have some clothes that permanently smell like pines.

Then Sunday, Sept. 2, after a much improved ankle was braced up, I decided to test my skills again on the fun course during the archery shoot at Silver Trails Boys Scout Camp in Jeddo.

And although I improved my score from August's outing by nearly 30 points, I would still not reveal such a laughable result. However, I did notice the right shoulder felt much better than it had after the previous shoot, so the continued progress was duly noted and will be where I place my focus.

Unfortunately it appears I will have to be out of town for personal business for some of the Sept. 15 turkey and small game weekend opener. As much as this bugs me, it involves financial affairs and could

MAHFS photo by Mac Arnold
Marysville Dan takes a much-needed break after we finally were
able to secure his 15-foot ladder stand in place. Whew, that was
a lot of work. I hope the reward is fresh venison backstrap.

 
greatly help me over the rest of the year.

Like most hunting fanatics, if I'm not in the woods actually on a gig, then I'm thinking about the next one so I'm sure I'll have much to mull over during the long drive to and from West Virginia.

Go Tigers!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home